Lots of moms are scared or nursing or just simply go in without enough information. There are many misconceptions and misunderstandings surrounding this delicate subjects and many moms are fearful of the following misconceptions, especially in a society that is not exactly in love with nursing.
- “You’ll never know how much the baby is eating.”
- “You can’t nurse your child while you’re pregnant with another baby.”
- “There’s no such thing as not having enough milk. If you want to, you’ll make enough.”
- “Breastfeeding is unnatural.”
- “Everyone can breastfeed!”
- “It doesn’t and shouldn’t hurt in the beginning.”
- “You’ll lose all your pregnancy weight by breastfeeding.”
- “It’s smooth sailing after 2 weeks!”
- “Don’t put anything before nursing...not even mental health.”
- “Nursing is nutritionally useless after 6 months.”
- “Your baby can’t possibly nurse longer than 50 minutes.”
- “Baby is cluster feeding because she isn’t getting enough!”
Well, here are some things REAL MOMS in our community want you to know about what breastfeeding is all about so that you can have the success in your journey and meet your breastfeeding goals!
- Don’t give up! It’s hard in the first few weeks but it’s worth it in the long run.
- Line up a lactation consultant! They can be a great resource for all ages and stages. They will save your sanity and keep your baby happy!
- If it doesn’t work, there’s no shame in stopping.
- Learn how to ease a clogged duct. Lifesaver.
- Use. Lanolin. Cream.
- You’ll have milk even when your breasts feel “deflated.” Your body will adjust to producing.
- Make sure to create a quiet space for you to nurse. You’ll love having that separate place for bonding with your baby.
- Formula isn’t poison. You’re not a bad mom if you don’t nurse.
- Nursing dresses exist and they are so incredibly helpful!
- Exclusively pumping is also breastfeeding.
- It starts out painful, but once you push through that, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Pump parts wear out! Find out when you’ll need to replace them instead of waiting until output drops. Research the pump before!
- APNO cream is so helpful for soreness so always keep it handy!
- If you’re struggling, have your baby checked for a tongue tie!
- Get a milk saver to collect milk on the opposite side during a feeding.
- Enjoy the cluster feedings…it’s completely normal and what the baby needs (and you might actually miss it)!
- When you start breastfeeding after you give birth, it will feel like you’re having really painful contractions. It’s your body’s way of helping your uterus get back to its normal size.
- Nipples may hurt and bleed at the beginning.
- During growth spurts, little ones nurse more often!
- Your worth as a mother has NOTHING to do with how you feed your baby.
- Throw out every expectation. Don’t feel bad asking for help. If you’re in excruciating pain, that’s a sign of a bad latch and it isn’t normal.
- Never quit on a bad day and there will be bad days.
- The only proven method to increasing supply is frequency and duration at the breast.
- How much to expect the baby to want to be attached to me! Nothing else matters in the beginning if you can afford to stay with baby. Dishes can wait, garbage can be taken out tomorrow, but your baby is depending on you alone. Lower your expectations for all the other things you have to do.
- It’s okay to give your baby a bottle of formula to give yourself a break. You won’t bond any less with your child with a bottle in your hand. What matters most is a happy, sane mom and a fed baby.
- Despite it being natural, it’s not intuitive...it gets much easier once you and your baby know what you’re doing!
Whatever your opinions are, we want you to know there’s a network of support--a community--that’s here for you. Let us know your thoughts on this compilation in the comments section! #TribeTalk
Disclaimer: Entries were edited for length and clarity. Opinions in this piece do not reflect Havah Tribe brand’s own opinions.
By: Jaimie Brick
Hungry Mama? No time to cook and mess in the kitchen? Grab our free snack guide shopping list so you can know what to grab at the store next! Make sure you're taking care of you!
Check out our full collection of nursing friendly apparel for nursing and beyond here and spin to win prizes with your first purchase! Click here for new arrivals